Monday, December 30, 2013

Got Encouragement?


A few weeks ago my church organized a spontaneous Encouragement Night for the women of the church.  The intent was to create an opportunity where women could come and lay a burden down and be simply encouraged.

It went something like this.

A woman would share what was on her heart. Openly. Candidly. Sincerely. And with a heavy heart breathe a deep sigh at the end. Some shed tears. Others let out a smile of freedom.
Immediately another woman, or in most cases several women, would respond with encouragement. Experience. Wisdom. A gentle yet solid response of faith and scripture.
And then, then we prayed. A woman would pray on behalf of the other woman who had just shared her soul with us.
This happened twelve times. 

We all came with different burdens.  Different life situations. Different approaches to similar situations even.  Yet when we left, we all carried the grace and love offered from a Fierce God and a faithful community of Sisters in Christ. 

It. Was. Beautiful. And magnificent. And humbling. 

To look around the circle and have the opportunity to have a heart to heart with these ladies that while I knew who their little tikes were, I taught a few of their teenagers in small groups, and I passed them frequently and passively in the hallways of church weekly, I had never known their stories. Or at least not as intimately as I did after I left that evening.  Can I tell you how extremely wonderful it felt to express a request of my heart concerning the struggles I currently face and be instantly lifted up before the Lord who has told us “to come boldly before His throne so that we may be given mercy and grace as we need it” (Hebrews 4:16)?  That, my friends, is exactly what the Church was intended for aside from spreading the gospel itself. 

Since that night, the ladies who were present have taken the initiative to keep the encouragement and prayer flowing. Love. Love. Love. The Lord just keeps receiving glory!!!! By creating a simple message thread on Facebook, they have formed a support group if you will.  Prayer requests. Praise reports. Pins found on Pinterest of encouraging sayings or scripture. And you know what the response is? Enthusiastic excitement in the case of good news! Sincere sympathy in an instance of heartbreak. Encouragement and positive feedback to anyone making a move to keep the conversation continuing.  

And guess what…other ladies at our church have mentioned how they would have loved to have been there but they had families to take care of or events previously scheduled.  And then they added how they would love to come to the next night of encouragement.  You know why? Because we need it!!!

We all need encouragement. We need affirmation. We need a friendly reminder that we are not alone.  Sure everyone has struggles and everyone is carrying their burdens. Exactly! We need to know that while it is not uncommon to simply have a burden, our specific burdens in particular matter! They certainly matter to our Heavenly Father and now I know with certainty that my burdens matter to eleven other woman in particular. 

How refreshing!  Refreshing to see the women of our church, some older than me and some even younger than me, desire to partner together in this life that we have been placed in at this very point in time to support one another and earnestly equip each other to grow in our personal walks with Christ. I am so thankful for the Bible studies offered and the fellowship gatherings that occur monthly at our church. However I am beyond grateful to dawn my listening ears and share in another’s burdens. And in return share mine with them.  But not just to vent or to release the thoughts jumbling around in my head and heart , but instead to be given a foundation of hope through scripture and commitment of prayer on one another’s behalf. That is being an effective Sister of the Sisterhood if you will. That is improving and enriching another’s life. 

So here’s my challenge to you. Whether you are a man or a woman. A teenager or a seasoned adult. A mother or a pastor. Let me ask you…

Have you laid your weary burdens at the throne of the Almighty lately?
Have you shared your struggles with a trusting man or woman recently?
Have you offered to listen as another individual of the same gender released their burdens to you?
If so, did you respond with faith and scripture? Did you respond immediately in prayer?

These are essentials in growing healthy relationships with those in our church and in the circles God has placed us in.  May we be people who have something to offer to our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.  Christ himself! We have Christ to give! May we not be just a venting post but someone who responds in love and grace and affirmation of the promises of the Lord as we surrender to Him daily. 

My challenge to you is to strive to be this person.

{This is my prayer for myself.  I have so far to go in laying aside my selfish nature to take care of myself and my family and carry the burdens of those in my community, my neighborhood, and my church.  It is a struggle of the flesh and something I must consciously work at daily. I’m there with you folks!} 

Additionally I encourage you to find someone, a group, (even me!) who you can confide in to help carry your burdens before the Lord.  Allow the Lord to bless you through this beautiful representation of the Church meeting it’s member’s needs as the Gracious God supplies. You will reap the rewards and God will receive the Praise!

Blessings to you!
Kristina


No comments:

Post a Comment